Thursday, December 28, 2017

The experiment

The ostensible goal has nothing to do with the outside world. I just needed an inhospitable, remote place to find out if it possible to sleep outdoors in the winter - that part is easy, it is definitely possible - and be completely comfortable. That second part is important. So, when I pack my bag, I maximise the number of items that promise to keep me warm and minimise everything else. First aid kit - sorry, out. Food - only room for leftover pancakes, compact and enough calories for an army. Water filter - come on. Instead, I came with two mats, two sleeping bags, rescue blankets, and a competent double layer of fleece. And a bicycle to carry all that shit.



The results are in: Apart from the weird smell in the tent after thirty hours of just lying there, a mixture of bodily functions and pancakes inexplicably stuffed with peanut butter, the nest was perfectly comfortable. Whenever I peeled off my layers of insulation and stumbled into the darkness, I was amazed how hostile the world had become. My little green bubble is a foul smelling, warm oasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment