Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas at Sron nan Dias

Visit number eight. It has taken a while, but I finally have learned the lesson. The Best Campsite Of The World has a flaw, and this time I take precautions. This time I build my house next to the ruins of Sron nan Dias, just out of the wind funnel, and with spectacular views over Glen Loch and Glen Fearnach and, man, Beinn A'Ghlo. What a place. Green grass on limestone, not entirely level, but soft and dry and sheltered and fantastic. At night, when the full moon was out, you could see me wandering around the ruins, in circles, pointing at things in the sky, marvelling at the stars moving against the background of the clouds, or vice versa. A light appears on the ridge above my campsite. Anyone up there? The light stumbles to the left, then stops, then moves back. A minute later the light has moved up and is now hovering above the rocks, too high for a person. I have witnessed a starrise.


No comments:

Post a Comment