Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Visiting squares

Last year I posted my first picture on Geograph, a cross-grid view of Loch Loch, of course. Geograph's goal is to take a picture of every square kilometre in Great Britain and Ireland. I realise that three squares just north of my loch (it's my loch now) are not pictured yet. This will be the goal for this year. It is as abstract as it gets, but the abstract is filled with wilderness. I am in luck - the 23rd of December, which started with wet snow, gifted me a few hours of clear sunshine. 

NN9975 is just along the loch, and then a few hundred metres up to the east, onto the sprawling plateau of heather and peat that frames the east side of Loch Loch. There is absolutely nothing to see in this square. I take lots of pictures of nothing. The pictures don't show how wet my legs are. Even if the ground is frozen, a layer of soft mud, a layer of wet heather, and another layer of fresh snow is terrible walking terrain. 



NN9976 is next, to the north, the square where Allt Feith Ghuithsachain turns into an actual stream and plunges down into the valley. The river is surrounded by wetlands. An errant landrover track crosses through the bog. 







NN9977 is my favourite, a natural end point to my walk, still trackless, but with a distinguished viewing platform called Meall na Spionaig (which a summit that protrudes into NN0077). It is almost a surprise to be on top. Spectacular views to the north, into unknown territory. Moraines, gullies, cascades, everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment